Wednesday 11 December 2019

Get me I’m A Brand Ambassador!

I received a lovely message via my IG @jenlegg4 asking if I would be interested in being a ‘Brand Ambassador ‘ from The Fabric Guys. Free material for a blog post.
Hell Yeah I’m in !


I’m a North East creative girl who has a sewing addiction that has lead me to open a sewing school above my hair salon in Middlesbrough. I love jumpsuits & florals, I’m also a serial Sewist I will take a pattern push it with different fabrics, hack it, and of course wear it!


The Fabric Guys have a lovely selection of material and prints but strangely it’s hard to decide what to choose when you can have anything! Also what to make when you have extra pressure to do The Fabric Guys proud. 

I had my light bulb moment when @sewisfaction launched one week one pattern #owop19. Over the last 3 years I have made 6 versions or @pierplacementpatterns #sewingkempton. I’ve made them in scuba, re-fashioned a charity mans suit, pleather, stretched denim, curtain material and fur, I have have hacked each one but knew I had an idea for another.










I strike again making my life harder by choosing this amazing  Soft Spandex Pearl Faux Leatherette. I found matching it up with the lining Jacquard Dots in Cooper really easy from the pictures and descriptions, the website is easy to navigate. I coordinate the colours from inherited fabric of my late Aunties stash giving new life to the remnants of her living room curtains that became the binding.



It arrived in this lovely box that has made me change my sewing habits by keeping all the pieces neatly together. I sew at home and in-between hairdressing clients in the Sewing School I’ve created above my salon. How lucky am I?




This pattern involves a lot of preparation as you are basically attaching both the outer and lining pieces together using Hong Kong seams prior to making up the jacket. Even though I have had plenty of experience I did sew the binding incorrectly to the first pieces! You have to remember the binding is getting attached to the outer fabric then wrapped trapping the lining and secured with the ‘stitch in the ditch’ foot again along the outer fabric. Don’t make my mistake-pass me the seam ripper !


The one on the right is right!



I sized up and added 3 inches to each of the pattern pieces. Seeing all the pieces tougher can seem really daunting but just work through methodically. The thing about this make is the shoulder seems are the last to sew so you have to wait to try it on! It’s worth that wait I promise.




As I’m loving the frills that are currently trending I wanted to add one to the cuffs. I did a little story on IG and the gained a lot of love so I knew I was onto a winner. We all need a bit of reassurance don’t we?


The end process involves hand sewing which I love.


I absolutely love the end result. It looks so professional and ready for the festive season.


Tips for sewing with Leatherette. 
1. Use a tried and tested pattern, that you have no fitting issues with. You can unpick seams but it does leave slight needle marks so it’s best to avoid.
2. Use clips or pin in the margin areas to avoid the puncture holes.
3. Depending on the thickness cut pattern pieces separately. I didn’t with this project, but I used all purpose scissors So as not to blunt my dressmaking ones.
4. Many blogs say to use leather needles but with this fabric I found they were to thick so I used a 90 universal needle.
5. Again many blogs say to stick to basic seams, again I went against this using ‘Hong Kong Seams’ it was bulkier on some seams but using a cloth (don’t iron the right side) and a ‘Tailors Clapper Point’ to press out the beautiful insides. 








Thank you for the opportunity The Fabric Guys looking forward to the next one. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for finding me via the link from Simple Sewing Magazine.  I don’t use this forum so you can find me via the links below.  ...