Tuesday 3 December 2019

Selvedge and Bolts

I’m Jen Legg aka @jenlegg4 in my post about The Muse I mention the fantastic new online fabric shop Selvedge and Bolts. I have bought some amazing fabric from Dibs so I was totally flattered when she asked me to be part of her blogger team! I’m hoping it was because of the beautiful clothes I’m making with it and not all the money I’ve spent on her amazing fabric since she’s opened. I cant resist she buys ‘dead stock fabric’ from Italy a lot of them are ex designer like Vivienne Westwood, Escada etc... I started to sew because I hate wearing the same as everyone else, since I started this sewing journey I found a lot of fabrics were repeated on many online places so this is why my obsession with Selvedge and Bolts began! 

I was so excited to be selected but my Leggylad didn’t believe that I was actually going to get fabric for free-I had to show him the message, this isn’t because he objects to my sewing addiction. It because I’m always saying I can stop buying fabric- not sure who I’m trying to kid!

Dibs did have a selection of fabric left on the website that I hadn't bought and I choose 3 metres Italian Wool Jersey 1 metre of each colour as I loved the colour combination on the IG page. 


Sometimes its obvious what you want to make but with this choice it made me have to really think about how I could make it work for me. The pressure as I didn’t want to let myself or Dibs down. I did change my mind a few times but once the fabric arrived I had my lightbulb moment. Sometime you have to have a feel and stroke don’t you? It is the best quality and felt great after the pre-wash. 

I found a recent purchase from my stash that matched perfectly and brought these three colours to work harmoniously. 




Ready to go!


I choose the #gemmasweater @namedclothing to enhance contrasting fabric colours. I had the pattern and tried and failed 2 years ago to make it. This time however I followed the instructions and it came together without any mishaps, with happy dances and clapping like a seal every time the seams where lining up and matching perfectly.


‘happy dances and clapping like a seal ‘

 It was a little tricky as the spots jersey is finer than the Italian Wool Jersey. My Leggylad is my biggest critique and he was totally on the fence with this one as I was making it. I’m not sure about you but I always like another opinion (as long as they love it) at the time of trying on I only had one sleeve sewn together with my pj bottoms on saying “it’s obviously not finished yet!” The whole outfit was a relatively quick sew with the majority on my 
Janome Air thread overlocker 


I have a fear of button holes as they never work for me, or should I say the test one always does! However the button hole gods were on my side and they worked. As we are limited in our area to haberdashery shops I bought the fastening cord in this beautiful saffron colour. I think it works perfectly. 



To match I choose  @namedclothing #ruripants they are the ultimate secret pyjamas with some beautiful design features they look great and they are so comfy. I have made these previously so Pattern was also ready to go. I used a contrast waistband and I took the elastic round further to the waist seams. I would like to tell you this was to add to the design feature but I simply mixed up the waist pattern pieces! I had been concentrating so hard on my seem matching I went into auto whilst making these. I was going to rectify but I honestly like how the sit, so it equalled a happy accident. They have a lovely button or snap fastening detail at the ankle area of the trousers. I choose to add a button hole here as I loved the jeans buttons I had left from Textile Garden Picture below. 





I have absolutely loved trying something new with this first blog for Selvedge and Bolts. Leggylad did love the final outcome and didn’t object when I was asking/ making him take the final pictures. For those of you old enough reading this it really reminds me of a ‘Dash’ lounge suit from the 80’s.






  
I know I’m going to get lots of wear out of these as a full outfit or as separates. This is something I am trying to be mindful about prior my recent makes as I’ve got to admit I do have a good few items in my wardrobe I’ve only worn a few times. I do think every make is a learning process so all isn’t lost and my family and friends love it if I have a good sort out. 

Thanks for asking me to do this Dibs I am totally privileged to be in great company. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for finding me via the link from Simple Sewing Magazine.  I don’t use this forum so you can find me via the links below.  ...